Monday, October 26, 2009

“I” – the motivated me!


The purpose of professional life revolves around getting the best education, choosing the right career and eventually working with the best. At every phase of our life, I remember the one thing that I wanted the most and how motivated I was to get it.

As time passed by, my motivation to achieve became stronger to get into the best college, and get myself an entry into the best brands to work with. In this race to be the best and become the best, I was suddenly thrown into a world of complexities and high expectations. Meeting those expectations at work and at home then becomes my only priority and I slowly convert into a run of the mill human machine that works because one has to.

Shift Gears - Well then what would a person like me be motivated to do? Can I slow down and actually think of what motivates me to perform better, be happy with myself and eventually become more evolved at work and in my personal life. I have always felt that motivation is from within. External motivators are a constant topic of research and studies in organizations, to increase performance, combat attrition and increase loyalty towards the organization. However, the greatest motivation comes from within.

To being with I think we all must have goals. In everything we do be it in our personal or professional lives.

Goal – What is it that I want to do?...is a question that has been asked umpteen times but how many of us actually introspect and really think of what we want to achieve. This of course is surrounded by circumstances that may help or hinder the achievement of the goal. Notwithstanding that, we zero in on some goals that we consider achievable and would make a difference to us.

Motivators to achieve the goal – Having recognized what we want, we need to work towards it. The need is from within us and hence the motivation to achieve it is also something that we have within ourselves. If we are not motivated enough to carry out any action or work towards any of our goals, no one external will be able to help / assist us.

Action Plan – Being immensely motivated and we know where we are, we chalk out our plan to achieve the goal. This plan is always that we can act on.

Achievement and Reward – With motivation and dedication to achieve the preset goal, one finds oneself achieving the goal. I am happy and I realize that this state of happiness is bringing me closer to being at peace with myself. My confidence in myself has increased ten fold and I realize that I am much better than what I thought I was. That’s a reward for myself.

Setting of newer goals – I will not stop here. I continue to set newer goals, newer horizons and an evolved me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Manisha,

    Welcome to the world of blogging. My only piece of advice."Write what U want to write, not what U want others to read". This philosophy will grant u the most satisfaction in the long run.

    ReplyDelete